The amount of bags/purses/clutches/etc that I have bought this year is not funny, it’s bordering on terrifying. Not only does my novelty bag collection post need a dire update, but I also need to share a rainbow bag collection post, as that’s what has REALLY created the problem.
Anyway, amongst my many bag purchases throughout 2020, I discovered this clear plastic clutch. I have noticed a lot of people carrying clear bags this year actually, and it always looked kind of strange to me, honestly.
I just don’t know why you’d want everyone to see what’s inside your bag, buuuuuut then I saw this hard-cover, no-colour, rectangle shaped one (whereas all the ones I had seen so far has been bendy, coloured, tote bag-looking ones) and it INSTANTLY reminded me of a Tic Tac box and I was sold. I knew what I had to do – and here we are!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
DIY Chocolate and Candy Stools to Sweeten Up Your Home!
The best part about this DIY project is that, whilst it does involve vinyl, you don’t need a Cricut machine! I did this all by hand. So, if you want to look like you’re carrying around a giant tub of candy – which is one of the weirdest sentences I’ve ever typed, but is also one of the most “me” sentences I’ve ever typed as well – then keep on reading to find out how! 👇
YOU WILL NEED:
♡ Clear clutch
♡ White and green vinyl
♡ Transfer paper
♡ Tracing paper
♡ Ruler (optional)
1. Save a photo of a peppermint Tic Tac box so you have a guide to work off. Enlarge the photo until it is the same size of your clutch.
You’re not going to trace everything from the Tic Tac box because there’s a lot of bubbles, shades, and other details that would take a long time and that I frankly couldn’t think of how to do.
Even with simplifying the design, you can still easily tell what it is!
2. Trace the overall rectangular shape with the curved bottom, which I have pointed to with the arrow labelled “1” in a picture below. Move your tracing paper over to get a fresh area, then trace the larger green area, which I have pointed to with the arrow labelled “2”.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: DIY Choc Chip Cookie Beret Makeover
This arrow starts at the top. It has a small curve at the top left, then a larger wave at the bottom right. Ensure that it is as wide on both sides as the rectangular shape that you just traced; it can be wider, but NOT thinner.
3. Now to trace the “Tic Tac” part. Move your tracing paper over to a fresh part. Trace the outside of the white outer part of the Tic Tac logo (the diamond-ish looking part, that is), then move over to a fresh part of your tracing paper once again.
Trace the outside of the GREEN outer part of the Tic Tac logo (the diamond-ish looking part, once again), and move to a fresh part of your tracing paper once again.
4. Finally, trace around the actually letters for the words “tic tac”, then cut out everything that you have traced. Place out all the things that you traced that are meant to be green with your green vinyl, and everything that you traced that are meant to be white with your white vinyl.
5. Grab your white vinyl and flip it over so you can write on the back without ruining the vinyl. Local your “tic tac” letter tracings and trace around them, then cut them out. Find your green logo tracing (which is the smaller of the two), flip over your green vinyl, then trace around the edge and cut it out.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: DIY Box of Candy Earrings
6. Play around with the placement of the letters on your green logo. Once you’re happy with where they’re sitting, peel the back off each letter one by one and stick them down onto the green vinyl.
Get your scissors and cut out a tiny, tiny capital “D” shape from your green vinyl, peel off the back and stick it on your letter “a”. Then, peel the backing off the green logo and stick it onto the white logo.
7. Re-trace around the tracing for the large, white rectangle onto the back of your white vinyl, then cut it out. Play around with the placement of it on your clutch.
When you’re happy, peel the back off, then slowly and carefully stick down onto your clutch – starting at the very top – and using something flat (such as a ruler or a scraper) to ensure there’s no bubbles. If you make a mistake, you can just pull it back off again.
8. Re-trace around the large, green tracing onto the back of green vinyl, then cut that out. Play around with its placement to ensure that it reaches both sides of the white rectangle, then peel the backing off it and stick it down slowly and carefully, starting at the top.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
DIY Resin Gummy Bear Charm Bracelet
9. Pick up the “tic tac” logo piece, peel the backing off that, and stick that in the middle, carefully and slowly once again. Repeat all steps once again if you wish to decorate both sides of the clutch. Then, you’re done! You now have a large piece of candy to take everywhere with you 😋🍬
Despite my aversion to clear clutches before, I am now dying to wear this somewhere! I’d love to see the kind of looks I’d get 😂
I made this one afternoon whilst Daniel was at work and when he got home, he saw it on the couch and said, “Where did you get such a big Tic Tac box?!” so that was pretty cool! 🙈🙊
He also wants me to try to FILL IT with Tic Tacs – which, I will admit, I’ll probably to try at some point, but that definitely sounds like a recipe for disaster, doesn’t it? 😅
Before you go, is there any other kind of candy or food that you want to see me turn into bags – or anything else – in the future?!
Until next time,
20 thoughts on “DIY Peppermint Tic Tac Clutch”
Omg! What a cool idea! In some stores I’ve seen bags like Chinese takeout boxes and this reminds me of that! 😊😊😋🙃
Awesome diy, can’t wait to try! 👍🍁🌼🌸💫💙
I’ve seen bags like them, too! I have a collection of unique and novelty bags so they’re right up my alley ☺️ Thank you! I’m really glad you like it 💕
LikeLiked by 1 person
What a fun idea! Pop culture fashion accessories are always great gifts too. Plus this one is a DIY!
Thank you! I’m sure if any of my friends saw this, they’d instantly think it’d be the perfect gift for me 😂 I love things that are shaped like other things – especially when they’re shaped like CANDY! 🙌
This is such a cool idea. In Mumbai, during the monsoon rains, you will often see women carrying nice big transparent purses in which they put their smaller purse and other stuff. A transparent clutch is wonderful option.
I just looked up the monsoon season in Mumbai and WOW! I cannot imagine living with something like that; that is something else. Apparently this year was the worst in 61 years, too!
You’re so skilled at crafts it’s amazing! I love this…tag tic tac corporate and see what they say lol. I wonder what the appeal is in letting everyone see the contents of your purse.
Aw, thank you so much 😊 Haha, I did tag them on Instagram, but big accounts like that hard to get the attention of since a lot of people are always talking to them 😂 Yeah, if I went out with this, I honestly think I’d do it as an experiment: I’d fill it with Tic Tacs and see if anyone says anything! Haha!
Such a cute idea! I love Tic Tac and this just creative. Thank you for the inspiration and the guidance on how to make one. Saving this for future reference.
Thank you so much! I’m glad you like it ☺️ It was fun to make!
I have never seen such a beautiful little clutch. I would love to do this DIY and gift it to my daughter.
Aw, thank you! I’ve had this idea for such a long time and I’m so happy that I finally got around to making it 🙌
Amazing!! I love the ideas. Would love to try creating and making a nice tictac clutch. It is such a cool and lovely idea.
Thank you so much! It was quite simple to make, and the end result is SO much fun to look at ☺️🙊
Oh my gosh! This is so adorable. My daughters would like this because they also like Tic Tac.
Haha, thank you! I’m glad you like it 😊
The end result of this is super cute, especially if you’re a fan of Tic Tacs lol! I have to admit, I share your thoughts on the clear bags as well. I like carrying a bag where I can hide things that I may need throughout the day/night, but I don’t necessarily want to show them off to the world lol
Haha, thank you ☺️ Yes, it is quite strange to show off your phone and your cards, money, etc, isn’t it? 😅
This is so pretty, thank you for sharing, I will try to do it with my older daughter.
Thank you very much 😊