I CANNOT believe I am finally sharing this post! I’ve had this DIY project in mind for well over a year – probably over two – and I can’t believe I finally got around to making it 🙌
Apparently, I’ve got a thing for novelty door stops. They were some of the first fun decor pieces I bought when we moved out – a melting ice cream cone, a red high heel, and a melting chocolate bar – and then I shared a 3-in-1 door stop DIY post back in 2018, but I am *super* excited about this one!
I got it finished at the perfect time too, as it’s been ONE WHOLE YEAR since Animal Crossings New Horizons was released! Can you believe it?! Wasn’t the world such a completely different place last year? Everyone was playing Animal Crossing; it was amazing to see. This game that I’ve been playing since my age was still a single digit was suddenly all over the internet and the news.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: DIY Animal Crossing Fossil Pinata
It gave everyone a coping mechanism when we needed it the most, and it was so amazing to see. Of course, the world is far from perfect, and Animal Crossing will never be forgotten, but the world still seems so incredibly different one year later. Anyway, enough blabbering on – let me tell you how YOU can make this super cute DIY Animal Crossing bell bag door stop! ✂️
YOU WILL NEED:
♡ 5″/12cm fabric door stop (example)
♡ Pillow stuffing
♡ Gold felt (I recommend buying by the metre, which I did at Spotlight)
♡ Dark brown felt
♡ Gold thread
♡ Sewing needle and pins
♡ Fabric glue
♡ Tracing paper (optional)
♡ Pen/cil, ruler, and scissors
♡ Red ribbon/cord (which you can also buy by the metre at Spotlight)
1. Place the fabric door stop you have onto one of the bottom corners of your metre of gold felt. Trace a circle around it that’s at least 2-3cm wider than the bottom of the door stop, then cut that circle out.
2. Move your fabric door stop to the side for now. Pick up your big metre sheet of fabric, and flip it over so that the side you just cut out of is at the back. Wrap the very edges of the felt sheet along the outside edges of the circle you just cut out (so you essentially making a very tall bowl), and once you’ve made it all the way around the circle, make a mark on the sheet with a pencil.
3. Lay the sheet back down, ruler a straight line along the sheet until you reach where you cut the circle out, then stop. Cut along the line you just ruled, then cut parallel to the edge of sheet; this line doesn’t need to be perfect as it’s going to be the folded top part of the bag, but if you want it to be straight, you can always rule it before you cut.
4. Pin the edges of your circle and sheet of fabric together, sew them together using your gold thread, then carefully flip the bag inside out so the stitches are on the inside.
5. Place the fabric door stop in the middle of the bag, plus some extra pilling stuffing to fluff out the bell bag even more. Add as much or as little as you’d like, but remember that your own sewing needs to be able to withstand the weight of everything inside!
6. Once you’re happy with how round your bell bag looks, grab your red cord and wrap it around the top of your bell bag a few times before tying a bow with it.
7. Look up a photo of the bell bag from Animal Crossing and zoom in until the star is the size you wish it to be on your bell bag. Hold (or tape) some tracing paper to your computer, then carefully trace around the trace around the star. Cut it out, trace around the star onto your dark brown felt, cut that out, and use some fabric glue to glue it onto your bell bag. After that, you’re done! 🎉
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Animal Crossing Pitfall Seed Coconut Jelly Bites
SO easy, wasn’t it?! And such a cute payoff, too ☺️ I can’t stop smiling whenever I see it – and it adds so much colour to the room, too! Now, if only there was real money in it 🤑
Before you go, let me know in the comments what’s YOUR favourite part of Animal Crossing? 👇 Whilst I become super addicted to filling up the museum, I also love love love designing my own clothes 💃
Until next time,
18 thoughts on “DIY Animal Crossing Money Bag Door Stop”
That is a super cute door stop! I bet it brings good Feng Shui to whichever corner of the room you place it in.
Thank you! It adds so much fun and colour to the room, that’s for sure ☺️
You are so beautifully creative! I never got onto the Animal Crossing bandwagon but this looks so pretty and bright. I feel ya on the 1 yr completion. It’s like we’ve all become lazier this pandemic period lol
Aw, thank you so much 😊 It took me a while to make this project because I was looking for the right fabric door stop to put inside of it, but it was definitely worth the wait!
This is such a lovely piece of art craft. It’s useful too. Great tips and blog post!
Aw, thank you so much! I’m so glad that you like it ☺️
It looks really cute. How about when you have kids at home, won’t they play with those? Hehe
Thank you! Kids don’t come over to my place, and I don’t know why any children would play with a door stop 😂
So cute! Love the idea of a decorative door stop. So fun that it’s themed animal crossing, that’s such a popular game!
Thanks! I love it so much. I’ve adored Animal Crossing for over a decade, and it’s awesome to now have a home decor piece inspired by it ☺️
I never heard of animal crossing but this sure looks like a fun way to make a money bag. So fancy and colourful.
WOW, I honestly can’t believe you’ve never heard of it! It’s such a popular game, and it was so incredibly popular over the last year when the pandemic hit. The first one actually came out in 2001!
such a sweet idea! I like animal crossing and I do think this is the best way to show off your love to the series – something only people into will get
Thank you so much! I love AC too, and this was so much fun to make ☺️
We have a lovely craft place here in the uk, that you can visit and go make allsorts of lovely stuff.. Can’t wait to get back crafting again
Ooh, that sounds like fun! My house could definitely be considered one of those places – I have SO many different things that you can craft from 😂🙌
Omg this is so cute! Would make a great present !
Omg this is adorable. My littles would definitely carry it around the house 😆